Thursday, February 26, 2009

Don't Touch the Shovel -- There Are More Ways to Dig!


Tony Booth is a historical archaeologist, an investigator of the evidence that vanished cultures leave behind -- especially in New England. Here's what he says:
I grew up in Barre, (have you heard of Booth Bros. Milk?--my relatives) and still consider myself a Vermonter. I live in NH but work in VT, NH and Maine. I have been doing archaeology since 1998 when I volunteered at a museum in Portsmouth, NH, while attending UNH. I worked in contract archaeology after college, went to grad school at the University of Maine, and then got back into contract work, first with my former company, and then on my own beginning last year. I worked at the Old Stone House Museum in Brownington last Spring. We excavated test pits in advance of building restoration and combined it with two school field trips so that Elementary school students could learn about archaeology and get their hands dirty under my supervision. It was fun and I think everyone learned something.

He'll fill you in on why the shovel is the last resort of today's history detectives. And he'll share with you what's going on -- and how you can take part.

No comments: