Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Keynote Speaker Melody Walker, Wabanaki Elnu Member


Elnu Abenaki member and featured keynote speaker Melody Walker discusses how her people’s history and heritage have helped influence and shape her life experiences:
"My Wabanaki heritage shapes the way that I view
the world, the way that I view history, and the way that I deal with
difficult situations. I am always mindful of my place in the world and
my culture. During the hard times, my mentors have guided me with
stories of the past, of perseverance, and of Gluskabe. Abenaki melodies
forever remind me of what I love most in the world and that no matter
what happens, there is a large family ready to stand up for each other.
Historically Wabanaki existence, physical and cultural, has been
severely threatened, up to the present day, but we are still here and
will continue to occupy our homeland. As a Wabanaki person, I have a
responsibility to my culture and to my people- to learn about our
history, relearn our technologies, and to work hard for the future. From
the time that I wake up and thank the sun, to the time that I go to bed,
I know that I am a part of something bigger and it makes me whole. No
matter what road I take, I am never alone in the world and whatever
happens along the path reflects not only upon myself as an individual
but upon all of those behind me."

No comments: